Friday, December 03, 2004

la cama de agua


after the third storm, i began to think that perhaps the philippines is being wiped off the face of the planet. if this indeed is what's happening, then why was i not informed in advance?! cos i should've gotten that damn credit card and shopped heinously as the country sank. when those submarines explore the underwater ruins of the philippines, they will find my body flanked with shopping bags and a credit card.

in the meantime, aerial television shots show murky water where there used to be land. i still can't decide which depresses me more, the fact that there used to be land there or that the water is murky.

we should stop cutting fucking trees.

***

the other day, i was still in my sleepwear a couple of hours after noon. my sleep wear usually consists of a long polo shirt and underwear--hey who's gonna see me anyway? and then this question was soon answered: i was just lounging around when to my utter mortification men suddenly decided to grace me with their presence. i never felt so naked in my life. well anyway, i slipped into boxers (something really short so they'd think that perhaps they just didn't see my shorts the first time they saw me, and that i was in fact wearing shorts the whole time) and, in my best greta garbo impression, asked them what they needed.

they were delivering a bed. i quickly called my dad because i didn't want to sign stuff without checking if the goddam bed was really ours. well, the bed turned out to be for me and since it's wider than what i previously owned, i had to get rid of my headboard as well. now, i don't have a headboard, just a cold cement wall hanging over my head. cold cement walls don't rock and squeak. deng.

i have forgotten how a nice orthopedic mattress felt like against my back. although, the one i have just disposed off for the new one was also an orthopedic bed, it's become sagged in the middle and lumpy in some parts. it has become incontestable that it is a spring mattress primarily because in certain parts, you really feel the springs. as the men carried my old bed to the attic, i couldn't help taking a glimpse of the tag that said "lifetime guarantee." apparently, they were pertaining to a fish's life.

(my dad sent me a text message saying that the bed is his advanced christmas gift for me and that he hopes that i use it at night. you see, i own a sleeping mask and i use it well.)

now as i lie on my new bed watching the television show how people get displaced and killed, i can't help but feel sorry for those in less comfortable situations than i am in. i have in fact refrained from posting my usual rants because among the filipino people, i am in the least position to rant at this point.

oh my god i'm growing a heart. and i really think we should stop cutting those goddam trees for chrissakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home